Re: Why Grow Other's Seeds? / Junk Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Why Grow Other's Seeds? / Junk Hostas
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:23:31 -0500

Hi Chick,
           I don't really think there are any plants that shouldn't be sold.
I think the problems come from the way they're sold. If somebody wants a
plant, there's no reason not to sell it. But nurseries should call it what
it is, not intentionally disguise its flaws (however big) and try to make it
sound like its the greatest thing since the thing before it in the catalog.
Really it's a lot worse with perennials than with hostas, but we all know
not all hostas are great plants. On the other hand all nursery catalogs sell
nothing but great plants if you believe what they say. Those of us who've
been around for a while know better than to believe what is said in
catalogs, even learn to read (translate) what the descriptions really mean.
Anyone who's new, and we all were once, is going to end up with a lot of
plants they wish they didn't buy, though.

........Bill Meyer