Re: Hosta Tools

  • Subject: Re: Hosta Tools
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" hostanut@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:28:27 -0500

Glen, my favorite tool is a 9" very sharp hoe that Dan bought about 20 years
ago at Gardener's Supply. Ours have long handles and I love using them to weed
around the hostas. The head is very light, not like some traditional garden
hoe's. (what is the plural of hoe?) This hoe is only 1.5 inches wide and is a
thin arc with points on each end. We keep a keen edge on these hoe's using a
diamond stone.

I can cut thru weeding pretty quickly with one of these. But one thing for
sure, you have to be careful where you swing them, I've accidentally cut a
hosta off at ground level in a blink of an eye. Quite frustrating, but hey,
maybe a new propagation technique... Gotta watch those ankles too. Probably
don't suggest using it near children or pets. When I said keen edge, I mean
keen edge....slightly dangerous, but oh so effective.

Dan uses it like a golf club to take down seedling trees or difficult weeds.

Like Carolyn, we use the point to dig up 'stuff'.

Lu & Dan