Re: Pictures of Hostas doing badly

  • Subject: Re: Pictures of Hostas doing badly
  • From: Len Phillips lenphillips@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 04:21:00 -0800 (PST)

--- Chick <chick@bridgewoodgardens.com> wrote:
> Why would you
> want  to warn a new hosta grower in Wisconsin away from Great
> Expectations because people in the South can't grow it?

While this may be true, I have found variations within my own yard.  For
example, Sharmon starts the year with beautiful shades of cream, yellow
and green under a willow in my back yard, but no where else in my entire
nursery.  I wouldn't put Sharmon on Kevin's list just because there is a
potential that a newbie might find just the right spot.  The plant grows
fine in other locations, just doesn't have that color.  (However, since I
found this out, I grow all my Sharmon under the willow.)

My point is that I think a simple warning should be issued with all
hostas, that if a plant is not doing well in your yard, move it from a
sunny location to a different location with less sunlight or vice versa.

I also feel that in the future when research funds finally make it to the
hosta world, that scientific studies may determine exactly the number of
hours in the sun, bright light, or shade required for optimum plant color
for all the difficult plants.

Len