Sunday Morning Blues

  • Subject: Sunday Morning Blues
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:19:32 -0500

Dear Hosta Brethren,

I can see a dirty pink sky  through parts of the spruce trees out back.
This is the kind of  Vermont sky  that means that snow is coming again.
Gosh, I can hardly wait.  There is well over 3 feet of snow now. It has
been sculpted by the wind like the dunes at the seashore. It's really
lovely and mysterious.

The mysterious part comes from my gardening experience and dreams of
spring. I realized this morning that  the  amorphous sculptural lumps that
rise above  the surface in the gardens   look as if they might be giants
seeds breaking through the snow.  These are wistful thoughts of spring on
my part.

It's funny, I know each shrub and small tree  beneath the snow out there by
heart, but they  look mysterious  now , with just a hint of their true form
emerging from the snow.  Although it may be a stretch, I've always liked
Michaelangelo's last sculptures best: the unfinished ones.  The  figures
that are still part of the block of marble and remain half imagined.

By tonight (with more snow on the way) I expect that my fanciful garden
may well appear to be an unused room  where everything is covered with dust
sheets, waiting for an unscripted spring.

I have started to sort out seedlings. Right now ( and it's too early to
make any real determination which never stops me) the seedlings from  H.
'Intrigue' are the most interesting (60% streaked).  My own streaked parent
plants have given me 10  to 15% streaked seedlings this year, with one
notable exception.

Not even the garden catalogs , where hope springs eternal for buyer and
vendor both, seems to lift the pall of this cold. So many days and nights
where below zero is the rule and not the exception.  The furnace is on
almost constantly and I can hear this spring's garden money going up the
chimney.

Well, I was going to write something positive this morning. Something
uplifting.  Hmmm. It didn't happen . Well I can end with something equally
black then. No  sense  being positive now. I will change the people
involved in this "true " story to hosta people so as not to be accused of
dealing with non-hosta gossip:

"The average cost of rehabilitating a seal after the Exxon Valdez  ( a ship
which had many hosta folk on board) oil spill in Alaska ( a state notable
for its hostas and active hosta society) was $80,000.00. At a special
ceremony, two of the most expensively saved animals  ( seals eat voles and
slugs) were being released back into the wild amid cheers and applause from
onlookers (a committed group of hostaphyles). A minute later, in full view,
a killer whale  ate them both.

have a really good day,  glen

" RUN BULLWINKLE, RUN."
Glen Williams