Re: Hosta Question

  • Subject: Re: Hosta Question
  • From: Larry McLain olemacdee@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:18:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Glen! I cut all my scapes the end of September and brought them indoors. I kept them in quart jars filled with water and a little sugar. You have to change the water frequently. I tried to pollinate a couple of the flowers, but none of them took. I kept the scapes in the jars till the middle of December though. I harvested the seed day by day, till all the seed had ripened. So, I will probably try to pollinate again next year. I just didn't give it an honest try this year. So, if I was able to keep those scapes going for that long, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Larry
 Glen Williams <gw1944@vermontel.net> wrote:" Would it be possible to cut some hosta flower scapes, put them in water
with sugar (fertilizer)on the window sill, and hybridize them more

I have heard rumors of people who have had a lot of luck doing this. Has
anyone out there done this with regularity and a lot of seed-set?

"Pigeons on the grass alas." Gertrude Stein From: 4 Saints in 3 Acts
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839