Re: Fertilization (for C. Tuttle?) = try BAP-10 and...

  • Subject: Re: Fertilization (for C. Tuttle?) = try BAP-10 and...
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" hostanut@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:33:58 -0500

Mike P. wrote:
"I've always seen the potted hosta (potted in a soilless mix of promix and
amendments a'soft' mix) to have much greater root growth when compared to
similar hosta grown in soil.  I hypothesized that it maybe due to decreased
resistance."

Hello Mike,

I've taken a few classes on soils for container grown plant production. One
of the most interesting statements I've heard is:

"When you buy container soils, you are not buying the soil, you are buying
the air space between the soil particles".

I believe it's the increased aeration. Roots need air exchange just like
leaves do. Soil compaction decreased growth in plants in everything from
trees to hostas. Soils in containers compact over time also and there are
various soil mixes depending on how long you plan on growing a given plant
in the container. This really comes into play when growing multi-season
plants like trees in containers.

Dan and Lu