Re: A Hosta Plea

  • Subject: Re: A Hosta Plea
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:57:00 -0500

CHick you wrote:

>Come on Glen.  Admit it.  You're sitting up there in Vermont in front of
>the stove, all wrapped up in a quilt, surrounded by portable electric
>heaters, and you're going to be cranky until mid-June when it warms up a
>bit and you can go out and see what made it through the winter.

Cranky, hmmm...yes. But I have to tell you Chick I do enjoy it when you are
so completely wrong . It keeps me warm without the blanket or stove. Indeed
I revel in the warmth of your wrongness.  It is amusing to contemplate A
COMMITTEE to JUDGE those  HOSTAS WORTHY of being  set before us, in fact I
can wish membership on this committee to any number of people I know....who
might even enjoy it...... before they fled the country or were hanged by
roving mobs of befuddled hosta folk who were sated with mindless choices .
The best source of judging hostas (WHICH IS NECESSARY) is TIME. Hundreds
and hundreds of ordinary gardeners growing hostas in their gardens with
care, hope, and affection. Quality will eventually emerge. No single group,
no matter their credentials or aesthetic acuities could pretend to provide
such a service.Still there is some limted serious judging that can take
place...that can help. I think that the efforts at First Look and the new
efforts to consider and examine new plants can help us in the long run.But
not against the present avalance of hostas.

You went on to write:
>Hosta collectors never had it so good.  Of course there are too many
>hostas.  And too many daylilies, roses, azaleas, tomatoes.  I just
>bought a book with descriptions of 400 different Japanese Maples for
>crying out loud.  The only reason I'm not outraged is that I have enough
>self control to keep myself from buying them all.  Not that I'm
>suggesting that hosta collectors learn to control themselves.

Chick, you have even managed to arrive at some small truths. It was bound
to happen and I am happy for you. I clebarte the moment. YES, in one sense
hosta collectors have never had it so good. And yes, we collectors have
been in serious need of self control for years. WE CAN'T HAVE THEM ALL and
that is a difficult lesson to absorb. I, myself, am a member of two
different 12 step programs and...... my name is Glen and I am doing better,
thank you. HOWEVER the flood of hostas does all of us a diservice. The
sheer number of plants, not only fuddle the hosta lovers,  but they put yet
another yellow brick in the road to our own version 1929 CRASH. The hosta
market is in La La Land. And  the specter of ENRON-like debacle is on the
horizon.

So I say , make your list and be sure you have reservations on the ark.   glen

"Where there's a will there's a won't." Ambrose Bierce
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156