Re: A Hosta Plea

  • Subject: Re: A Hosta Plea
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:31:54 -0500 (EST)

Lets face it Chick
There are two many cars to choose from, to many Kinds of ice cream, To
many kinds of chain saws ect.  We live in an affluent society, where a
large eslection is demanded by the "buying public".  In the case of our
beloved hosta, the "old system" where a potential introduction took
years of observation and was frequently seen and "judged'  In a persons
garden by visits from other hosta developers, Is no more.  Insread the
time from seedling to mass distribution (  via Tc labs and marketing)
can be less than three years.  Add a cute name , and away we go !!  In
fairness , though, many of us who offer new plants, are trying to make
sure those offerings represent the best there is avaliable.  In the end
, though, is is (as several have pointed out) up to the buyer to make
those decisions.  Glen pointed out First Look as a "tool" to help in the
process.  He is right but the local hosta meetings, garden visits and
all the other activities related, offer addtional help in making good
decisions.  Yet, it seems like few folks atend these functions ans so
miss the oppertunities afforded to learn
Thanks
Ran