RE: Hosta Plea

Greetings from flatland Champaign, IL U.S.A. . . .

As an arborist, i get to "fight" surplus of information regarding best
management practices for trees.  Some of the info is excellent, but much
is trash, just as many of hostas sold at many stores are trash. (Sorry
for such heresy) Even an excellent cultivar of hosta can look like trash
at the store because it has been potted up for only a few weeks/months
and has no "body" no "substance"

In selling tree care recommendations, or hostas, or anything, it is
often the recommendation, comments, or enthusiasm from the expert that
makes the difference in which plant the customer picks out.  Even just a
little "hand holding" makes a difference. Sometimes the difference
between the customer buying one hosta, or two hostas plus a fern.

Occasionally, we get a complaint about finished work not being what the
customer had envisioned.  When i was younger and had less confidence, i
would tend to hide from dealing with these complaints. I have found that
when i promptly deal with the complaint and solve it to the customer's
benefit, that an opportunity opens for selling additional work.  So it
is, to me, in selling hostas.  Take the negative of "too many" hostas,
sold by a "big" business, and turn it to your advantage.  Make the
recommendation.  Share your highly valuable expertise and knowledge
about specific cultivars.  Sell combinations of other plants that go
with the hosta that the "big" business doesn't sell.

Enjoy the opportunity that GREAT hostas create for GREAT selling of
plants and the enjoyment that goes along with them both.

Growing, in Christ,

Gregory R. Smith
ISA Certified Arborist #IL0020
for Arborsmith - Craftsmen in the care of trees
217-356-8677