Re: A Hosta Plea

  • Subject: Re: A Hosta Plea
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:03:15 -0800

Glen:

>There are just too many hostas being introduced each year, too little
>serious evaluation, and too many vendors competing for the same
>dollars.

If you think hostas are getting bad, look at daylilies!  There are
about one thousand daylilies being registered every year and probably
200 to 300 being actively sold.  There are about 50,000 registered
daylilies in the past 100 years.  There are maybe 10 to 20 new
introductions each year that are worth being introduced and sold.
Some of the rest are nice, but nothing different then daylilies
introduced in previous years and many are questionable as to why they
are being offered for sale.  There hasn't been anything new in
daylilies in the last 10 years or so, basically just a rearrangement
and slight improvement of existing traits, although some of these are
rather nice.  Now the Dutch are coming and I'm expecting that daylily
hybridizers will take a far harder hit then hosta hybridizers mainly
because the Dutch have been into hostas far longer then daylilies and
there just aren't all that many hosta hybridizers in the true sense of
hybridizing.

Joe Halinar