Re: Winter Dormancy

  • Subject: Re: Winter Dormancy
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:39:53 -0800 (PST)

George let me change to moisture. While I did not set
this up in a pure scientific way I did enough work to
draw strong conclusions.

I suspended potted hosta in water 24-7 365 for 3 years
in full sun. They did very well and showed little
effect from the sun which normally causes leaf
problems in July and August.

I have come to believe that water is the single most
important factor in Hosta culture. The problem that
many growers do not understand about water with plants
is consistancy. They are like babies who will starve
in hurry without water. During hot windy summer days
they may require daily watering to get near results
that hobby gardeners want.

--- "W. George " <hostahill@Bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hostas do fine in the South given enough summer
> moisture.

>But given plenty of moisture in late summer in
southern regions seems to make up for the shorter
winter cooling periods and earlier soil warm-up. Up
north they may have enough "chilling" but if they dry
out during the critical root growth period they suffer
too.

=====
Butch Ragland
Conflict is as addictive as