Re: Winter Dormancy

  • Subject: Re: Winter Dormancy
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:50:19 -0500

You are right on.
A genus that gets between 70 and 110 inches of water, most of it in
August/September has to have WATER during our dry summers. No matter species
or cultivars. I did a similar experiment in the 1980s and put a number of
pots in 1' x 2' seed trays without holes and kept these full of water. The
sister plants were in the ground not watered in summer. You should have seen
the difference in growth rates. Your observations hit the nail on the head:
It is not temperature, but the lack of water during the summer growth cycle
that results in smaller plants. 1999-2002 were drought summers in Georgia.
Many hostas not watered went heat (summer) dormant, reduced their size
(trying to survive) and finally croaked. I lost over 100 of them (could not
water due to restrictions). You are right! George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North