Re: Winter Dormancy

  • Subject: Re: Winter Dormancy
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:57:47 -0500

Roger,
Should be no problem in some areas of South Africa. Chilling and resulting
dormancy is provided by frost that often occurs on the interior plateau and
the frost season is longest (from April to October) over the eastern and
southern plateau areas bordering on the Escarpment. Frost decreases to the
north, while the coast is virtually frost-free. So where these folks plant
their hostas is the key to success. I am not certain the Coast areas will
provide a fitting climate. George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL