Rhododrendron and Hostas as Companions

Alex Summers is seeking some input on hostas that seem to prefer acid soil
conditions more than the norm.

Clyde Crockett had mentioned the use of miracid on some of his hostas. Would
you share a list of these hostas, Clyde?

I believe that Clyde's soil is naturally alkaline as are most of the soils
in his area. Alex's soil has a pH of 5.5  as do most  soils  in our area of
Delaware. Alex has noticed increased vigor in hostas growing is soil amended
with wood ashes. There are nutrients in wood ash and wood ash also raises
the pH making other nutrients available. No  pH test have been done on these
areas so we don't  know just how much the pH has been raised. It may be that
his soil is still acid, just not as acid as before he  added the wood ashes.

Alex has an area with rhododendrons that do quite well in our native pH.
Under these rhododendrons are hostas that are not doing well and are showing
signs of chlorosis.

Do you have hostas and rhododendrons growing in the same area with both
doing well?

If so, what are the names of these hostas?

Input is welcome from gardeners with practical gardening experiences and
from scientist with purely scientific viewpoints. Or someone with both.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7(rain, wind and very low wind-chill, but no snow. We're envious.