Rhododendrons and Hostas as Companions

Hi Group,

From Washington where the Rhodys and Hostas do very well together.  The native soil at the nursery is a sandy type loam with a layer of decomposed fir, hemlock, cedar and Oregon Big Leaf Maple leaves, about 6" deep.  If rotortilled in together makes a great planting mix.  We really have not checked for PH, but the hostas seem happy in it.  We have planted Rhodys and mixed varieties of hostas along the driveway under old cedars and maples and all are doing well. We have all kinds, big blues, fortuneis, tiaras,  undulatas and even some Sum & Substance.

One big problem out here is too much shade and we are constantly opening the canopy to bring  more light to the ground. The climate of the Pacific Northwest is such that we can get away growing things in almost full sun.  We constantly have to remind our customers that hostas are not shade lovers but, shade tolerant plants.

Jack & Gary--- Z7B- Rain &  55 -- Had to lawn furniture under the deck.