Re: Rhododendrons and Hostas as Companions

We would have to know soil ph to begin with and what is used to amend or

With out this all responses will be guessing and it may not be easy to get
to an answer. The soil could be deficient in calcium and high in manganese
or vis versa or any of a hundred different combinations.

Lets take the 5.5 ph and add wood chips, as I understand he does, then the
buildup area between the native soil and the wood chip layer would raise
the ph to the benefit of the hosta. They would seek the ph they need if the
wood chips have build up for a few years.

>Alex has an area with rhododendrons that do quite well in our native pH.
>Under these rhododendrons are hostas that are not doing well and are showing
>signs of chlorosis.

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5