length of fertility

Lori,
Thanks for the reply.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, I too recall
that now that you bring it up, i.e. the "dew drop" being a physical sign
of the stigma being most ready for the pollen (in cows - "standing
heat").  I am interested in a curve of fertility vs time.  Perhaps this
too is dependant on ambient temp, plant health (nutrients, water, age,
etc), sun vs shade exposure as in some other species - but surely there
must be a "rule of thumb."  For example, a graph might look like:
|                          ^
|                               ^
|                  ^
|
y=fertility
|    ^
 0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10
      time in hrs since flower opening

If there is any validity to such a sexual relationship, one could then
time the hybridization/fertilization act to maximize seed production per
cross.  Don't know if this would hold true for the genus as a whole, or
perhaps by species within genus.  Will explore it further and keep ya'll
posted.