Re: Thanks

>Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:35:29 -0500
>From: "DrsJavinsky,Little" <SusanLittleDVM@compuserve.com>
>Subject: Thanks
>To: Hosta-Open <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
>Dear friends in hostas:
>Thanks so much to everyone who helped me identify my hosta pix and to
>everyone who gave me suggestions for hosta catalogues. This is exactly
>type of thing I joined this list for !
>Now, can anyone tell me where I can read about starting hostas from
>Susan Little DVM
>Diplomate ABVP (Feline)
>Bytown Cat Hospital
>Ottawa, Canada

This may seem too simple, but it really works.

Depending on how many seeds you have, fill a flat or even a plastic
donut tray with a seed starting medium.  Scatter the seed on the surface
and lightly cover with the medium or vermiculite.  Moisten with a mister
or fine spray, put on a clear cover and set under fluorescent lights
(about 6" below) and leave the lights on for the duration.  Keep them

Within 2 weeks you will see the little darlings popping up and when they
have reached the three or four leaf stage you can prick them out and
transplantinto 2 1/2 or three inch pots.  Keep up the 24 hour lights.
You will have a forest to plant out when the good weather arrives.

The Ontario Hosta Society has a very active seed exchange for the
members and this year offered 125 different types of seed - all open
pollinated of course.  While most seedlings turn out green, there are
some interesting shades and shapes, some gold, and every once in a while
something special turns up.

Have fun.

Bob Leask
Georgetown ON