Re: Look-Alike Hostas

Alan & Vicky Cahanes wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> So can we start a discussion on which hostas do look alike? I would
> think we would
> get alot of information from those of you who have the big collections
> of hostas. I
> would like to know this information, I don't know if anyone else would.
> Thanks,
> Vicky Cahanes
Vicky And all
As you procede with this discussion, remember, that while some varieties
may "look alike" , in some non visible ways , they may be very
different.  I do not subscribe to the frequently expressed thinking ,
that "you should be able to tell which plant it is from thirty feet
away"  Often of two Hostas that seem identical, one may have superior
bloom, or better slug resistance, or the ability to last better into the
late season.  I would be very happy to hybridize a Hosta , for instance,
that looked exactly like Kabitan, if it had white flowers, or ,
especially if it did not become full of slug holes.