Re: Look-Alike Hostas

GPETHER321@aol.com wrote:

> To kick off on look-a-like hostas, all the named hostas below are green sports
> of 'Halcyon'. Some are already registered, some not.
>
> Devon Green (Bowden)
> Peridot (Lydell)
> Canadian Sheild (Knechtel)
> Valeries Vanity (Keller)
> Kryptonite (Weir Meadow Nursery)
> Grunspect (Klose)
>
> This is exactly the kind of information that can be found on the 'Hosta
> Wheels'.
>
>  Concerning these green 'Halcyon' sports, I know several people who are
> growing all or most of them next to each other for comparison purposes.
>
>  As far as my own experience is concerned, I grow both 'Devon Green' and
> 'Peridot', neither has reached  maturity yet, so while I can't comment on any
> differences, I can say both are excellent, value for money, garden worthy
> hostas.
>
> Glen Pether  UK
Glen
The first one registered was Valleries vanity, and the second was
Peridot.  There is reason to believe that these all came from the same
TC diveation in Holland in the early eighties.  What makes (I hope)
Peridot unique, it that we took the time during the early stages of it's
devlopment , to select from and propigate the fastest growing plant I
had.  In my garden Peridot devlopes faster than any of the others.( I
have most of them)  I will be intrested in any observations , pro or
con, on this, as it is a procedure I am using in devlopment of many of
my hybrids.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.