Re: Look-Alike Hostas

In a message dated 1/16/1999 6:49:52 PM Central Standard Time,
township@acbm.qc.ca writes:

<< BTW, all of the all yellow-gold sports of Frances Williams are to be called
 Golden Something or Other."

 Really...is this a rule or something...not meaning to be sarcastic, but
 why?   >>

Barbara,

A very good question. This was decided by the American Hosta Society.  I would
suspect that many have ignored this "rule." I hate to say it but the "rule"
was decided upon without the approval of the members of the AHS. It is simply
another example of the great power the AHS has.

The "why" is because such sports are indeed look-a-likes. HOWEVER, check out
Plant Delights Catalog. A hosta by the name of 'Choo Choo Train' is being
offered.
This is a mutation of H. sieboldiana 'Elegans'. I saw this at the
1991Convention.
It is a magnificent specimen, but why shouldn't all gold sports of 'Elegans'
now be called 'Choo Choo Train'? They won't be---believe me!

One of the problems with lookalikes is that the policy NOW of the AHS is to
register ANYTHING.  The old policy wasn't better---one person was given the
power to deny registration at his discretion. A case in point was the great
hosta 'Olive Bailey Langdon'. It is obvious to anyone who is not color blind,
a distinctive hosta. Yet, the former Registrar refused for years to allow it
to be registered.

 I prefer the present policy. Caveat emptor.

Clyde Crockett z5