Re: Look-Alike Hostas

At 08:01 PM 16/01/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Meum71@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Gold Drop and Gold Edgar are look alikes too-except Gold Edgar is just a
tad
>> bit larger.
>
> Every time I look up a description for Gold Drop or Gold Edger they all
say it
>is
>a small hosta.  What I want to know is does anyone on this list have a
Gold Edger
>that
>is about 10 yrs old and it's approx. 4 feet wide?  I wouldn't call this a
small
>hosta, if
>Gold Edger is really what I have.  How about Gold Drop, how wide is a
clump after

>it has grown for approx 10 years?
>
>Thanks,
>Vicky Cahanes
>New Richmond,  WI
>zone 4a

I have been growing both for 8 years, about 10 feet apart in the same
garden conditions. 'Gold Edger' is just passing the 36" wide mark and 'Gold
Drop' is about 22" wide. In their juvenile form they looked similar but
maturity brings many obvious differences. I would have to compare 'Gold
Edger' at this point more towards 'Birchwood Parky's Gold' than 'Gold Drop'
in outward appearance.

John Kee