Re: Look-alike hostas

At 11:36 PM 16/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Can anyone cite any significant differences between:
>
>Resonance and Ground Master
>Christmas Tree and Grand Master
>Night Before Christmas and Lakeside Spellbinder
>
>I am growing all of the above except L.Spellbinder.
>
>Is it just my imagination, or have there been a whole host of progeny of
>Sieboldiana Elegans named, but which you have to have a label to tell them
>from the parent?

L. Lacey
Sioux City, Ia

Over the years I've been growing both 'Resonance' and Ground Master' in the
same part of the garden and found that while they look the same 'Resonance'
doesn't seem to attract the slugs that 'Ground Master' does. As far as
sieboldiana 'Elegans' look alikes, study the Silver Book and/or the Genus
Hosta and you will find between 150 - 200 hostas with similar parentage and
attributes. Not many are distinct enough for the average gardener to worry
about.

John Kee