Re: Look-Alike Hostas

>I find it very interesting the size that some of the reported Hosta get. When
>you look at the official descriptions of the plants they are much smaller --
>the plants in our display bed are the same way. That brings up my question-is
>any one compiling information on the ultimate size of different Hosta as they
>reach 'maturity'
>I realize that Hosta grow differently in different parts of the country or in
>other countries.
>It would be nice to have a record of how big plants really get.

Mark Zilis, owner of Q & Z has been measuring clump size on Hostas for many
years now. These new sizes are shown in his wholesale  catalog for plants
he is tissue culturing. This catalog is not readily available to the
general public but rumours have been floating around that he is writing a
book. Most of the newer sizes he has are quite shocking when compared to
the original registrations. Hope this helps.

John Kee