Re: Size of Hostas

Alan & Vicky Cahanes wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> You know it really is deceiving when in the descriptions of the size it
> says it is
> a small hosta like Gold Edger.  It also states that this one is good for
> using as
> an edger.  Well good thing I found out that Gold Edger gets 4 feet wide,
> because
> there's no way I would consider using it as an edger around a garden.
> If it
> says the hosta is to be Large or Very Large then fine but I would not
> call Gold Edger
> a small hosta.
>

> Thanks,
> Vicky Cahanes
> New Richmond,  WI
> zone 4

My thought is a Hosta is a plant and plants grow. I think any Hosta given
good growing conditions and soil loose enough for the roots to spread
easily would contnue to get larger and larger. Is there really a limit to
the size a clump would acheive? If the soil was hardpacked, it definately
would limit growth.

This is the same as a houseplant needs transplanting when the roots become
compacted. I have given away hundreds of purple bearded Iris as they just
keep spreading. The same holds true for my Rudabeckia and Coneflowers.

I myself find that it is part of the gardening experience to have to make
"adjustments" to the beds as plants grow. If it gets to big, break the
clump up. Change is good.

Ray W
z5
Mentor, Ohio