Re: Change in registered cultivar name

In a message dated 1/18/1999 8:49:45 PM Central Standard Time,
homestead_div@hotmail.com writes:

<< I guess we all still learn something new every day!!! >>
 I find it somewhat strange that a hosta cannot be registered as 'Magna Cum
Laude'.
I understand the rule of the ICNCP, but the rule is overbroad; the Registrar
should have some discretion here. I gather that the rule is designed to
prevent registration of plants, the names of which might be confused with a
species or a forma or a varieta.

Gayle, why not simply NOT register it? The name is a great one and there is
nothing anyone can do to stop you from proagating it and selling it under that
name.

I think we need some representation on the Board of the Congress for Naming
Cultivars.

I find it amusing that the Congress now allows a cultivar to be named with 14
syllables. So, we could register Hosta 'Hey Lets Me and You Tango and Dance'
but NOT 'Magna Cum Laude'?

Clyde Crockett z5