Re: Winter Scientific meeting

CCREDUX@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/24/1999 11:58:50 PM Central Standard Time,
> ranbl@netsync.net writes:
>
> <<  I must say, that the idea of
>  > asking for questions in advance , led one to wonder if there would be
>  > any questions allowed from the floor.  I was pleased to find that after
>  > every question , folks in the room were given a more than fair chance
>  > for input.  In addtion, at the conclusion of the "advance" questions ,
>  > the floor was opened up for any subject.  This difficult problem,was
>  > well discussed and I believe all parties came away believing that some
>  > very good steps had been taken by all parties in both presenting the
>  > varying points of view, and in resolving many of the differences.   >>
>
> I do not believe it for a minute, but I trust Ran. He is a nice guy.
>Clyde (and others,)

You are absolutely RIGHT in your hunch not to personally believe Ran's
analysis regarding what happened at the Winter Scientific Meeting.
Please understand that Ran is in the Hosta selling business and may have
a grower's biased view and wishes to express it (which is his right to
do so). He certainly does not want to make enemies of anyone by stating
strong views against any AHS policy that may harm his image as a grower
and seller of hostas. He may also NOT be affected personally by the new
IAC policies. Therefore , IMO, he is trying to portray a cooperative,
positive analysis of what happened in the Panel Discussion portion of
the program. IMHO, this analysis (Ran's)  is far from complete and is
very favorable  in supporting the views of the four officials on the
Board of Directors and the few supporters of these new policies. It does
not express the rather strong opposition to these policies expressed by
a broad spectrum of members who were more informed than the rank and
file membership in attendance.

Were I to modify Ran's asessment to correspond to my own observations, I
would change part of it  to read as follows......."some seven or so
questions pre-selected by Walek plus a few others were read by the
moderator and answered to some extent by the Panel (Questions I
submitted in advance were not chosen for discussion). At the conclusion
of these answers ( which consisted mainly of Panel's arguments,
explanations and justification for some of the new policies), other
questions from the floor were allowed...and a few were fielded within
the time constraints remaining in the hour alloted. Because of the poor
sound system, only a few heard the questions being asked. Some people
perhaps went away believing that some additional issues had been raised
for consideration. NO  DECISIONS WERE MADE TO  CHANGE THE POLICIES
ALREADY DECIDED UPON. But because of the magnitude of the opposition
expressed by many influencial, affected people, reconsiderations of
these policies would be reviewed and some modifications might be
necessary.

Sorry, Ran! My views are more correct, I believe. What happened can not
be summarized in a brief post. I plan to write a comprehensive analysis
of these policies, and a description of other background events which
may  give a more complete picture. It will be on hosta-open in the near
future. If I were to write it on AHSE-MAILROBIN I might be arrested by
the Hosta Police for views contrary to the current  Board of Directors.

Jim Hawes