Re: length of fertility

In a message dated 1/15/99 9:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ctuttle39@juno.com writes:

<<  For example, a graph might look like:
 |                          ^
 |                               ^
 |                  ^
 |         ^                           ^
 |    ^
  0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10
       time in hrs since flower opening >>

I would have to assume that you are right on the curve/peak theory. I would
also wander to guess that the period of fertility is dependent on many
factors, as well as the species/parentage of the cultivar. How would one
determine this. I suppose, a trial could be conducted....records of weather,
temps, rainfall, dates of bloom, dates of hand pollenation, isolation of the
stigma to prevent OP ( obviously to try and assimilate some accurate and
replicatable data), counting of developed seed, viability of collected seed,
etc. Would be willing to participate if anyone else would be interested.  Same
varieties could be used in different geographic zones to determine the affect
of the temps/season length etc.

This brings me the question of fertility of ovules in species with flowers
that do not open.  Anyone? Has it been tried (I'm sure someone has played with

Lori Johnson
Buff, NY Zone 6 sometimes.