Moving Hosta

>Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:08:23 -0500
>From: margaret <margaret@golden.net>
>Subject: Moving Hosta
>Hi everyone:
>In a message dated 1/17/99 ranbl@netsync.net writes: <How many times have
you moved a Hosta>.
>I also want to move several Hosta to suit their growth patterns---this
really means I originally and impatiently planted " too close " in an
attempt to make an area appear appear a little more mature.
>It appears that rule of thumb dictates that a Hosta will not begin to "take
off" or aggressively increase in size until the third year in the same
>Question??: If a Hosta is moved at this three year "take off" point, is it
basically another three years before it takes off again? IE everytime you move
>a Hosta, can you assume it sit for another three years before increasing in
>I REALLY look forward to that third year when a plant begins to develope
some of its mature qualities and begins to bulks up in size. If I move at
this point do I have to wait another three years for some "action" in the
new location?
>If moving a Hosta moves it back three years in terms of development towards
maturity, I will selectively move certain plants ie. leave the best and move
the rest.