Re: Moving Hosta

In a message dated 1/31/99 6:25:37 PM Central Standard Time,
margaret@golden.net writes:

 >Question??: If a Hosta is moved at this three year "take off" point, is it
 basically another three years before it takes off again? I.E. everytime you
 >a Hosta, can you assume it sit for another three years before increasing in

  If you dig the plants up with our breaking off as many roots as you can and
do not divide up the crown, your plants will not be set back. They will take
the first few weeks and grow some new roots. Hosta like to grow roots at two
different time periods for me-June and again in August/september. So move them
in spring or in July/August. Keep them watered well for the next three weeks
after moving them and they will not even be fazed.
Hosta for the most part are tough plants.

Paul Henjum
Zone 4
Specialty Perennials