Re: Lyme Disease

Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:

> Paula,
> Sorry to hear about the Lyme. If it's any consolation, I have two
> colleagues who were bitten and developed the rash and after antibiotics
> they are just fine.  I had an embedded deer tick removed by my doctor
> Friday, and am keeping an eye out for the rash. He gave me a Rx for
> antibiotics but said not to take them unless I actually developed the
> rash..How long after the bite did you notice the rash?
> Gerry

Dear Gerry,

I would take the antibiotic--not worth the risk otherwise. A friend of mine
developed all the worst symptoms, has permanent damage, had to have a
hysterectomy, and is now on antibiotics for life. As I undertsand it, the tick
carries a spirochete, and some of the damage this can do in the bloodstream is
not unlike that of certain venereal diseases, e.g., damage to reproductive
organs, nerve damage, even certain psychoses.

Kristi A. Groberg, Ph.D.

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dogs think I am."