Re: Judging Leaves.... much to be desired.

>Where can I get a copy of the rules?

 Is that the maturity of the leaves or the people?  GOOD QUESTION!

Educate me...are all leaf shows different? and all have different rules?

All AHS accredited shows would have the same rules.  State fairs and such
could have different rules but the leaves should be as clean and as perfect
as possible.  LEAF SHOULD BY ALL MEANS BE MATURE!  Cut petiole or stem as
long as possible and display as high and straight in the container as
possible.  It goes without saying that some varieties are more conducive to
display in a container for judging.  The hostas that "droop" do not show as
well.  Cut early in the morning, best time, soak whole leaf in tepid water
to loosen soil and debris, and clean gently.  Blues I do not take to cut
leaf shows because most cleaning destroys the wax coating and therefore they
are no longer blue.  I cut leaves at home, not always perfect at home, but
place in a container and see how they look.  Hosta leaves will keep
sometimes for weeks if water is changed regularly.  They are great for cut
flower arrangements!  Hold leaf to the light to determine if there are any
small holes not really visible by casual glance from the top.

Does anyone know Elayne Gilhausen's email address.  I need it also.  She
would have some idea where to get a copy of the rules.  They are usually
sold (very inexpensive) at the convention before the judging clinics.  Wanda
Dove possibly too but I don't believe she is online.
Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5