Southern Blight Control

There is a new product on the market that received EPA approval in 1998. The
active ingredient is a synthesized version of a natural occurring compound
called strobilurin. The Turf and Ornamental label is called Heritage. The
agricultural version is called Quadris (Zeneca).

This is the first product I have used that would actually stop southern
blight after a hosta had started to loose leaves. Usually after a hosta
looses 3 or 4 leaves to southern blight is very difficult to halt further
spread and the loss of other leaves. Strobilurin has systemic activity in
the root systems of hostas. It is always a good idea to test spray plots to
test for phytotoxicity. Hostas look fine after two application applied here
on 7/8/00 and 6/24/00 applied at the 4 ounce per 100 gallon rate.

Here is a short list taken from a list of more than 20 fungal diseases
controlled:

Phytophthora
Botrytis blight
Fusarium
Phomopsis
Rhizoctonia solani
Sclerotium rolfsii-------------Southern blight

The Turf and Ornamental label cost 7 times as much as the Agricultural label
per pound of active ingredient in my area.

The label says strobilurin can be used right up to harvest time for
tomatoes.  (indicating very low toxicity)

Quadris mixes at 1 to 4 ounces per 100 gallons depending on disease pressure
and cost $220 in my area and is a restricted use fungicide.

www.zenecaprofprod.com

Dan Nelson
Sussex Tree Inc.