RE: Southern Blight Control

Hi Beth,

Heritage is expensive @ $375 per pound and is a powder. It is only 50%
active ingredient which makes the cost $750 per pound of active ingredient.

Quadris on the other hand is a liquid which sells for $220.00 for one
gallon. This gallon contains 2.08 pounds of active ingredient which makes it
cost $105.76 per pound of active ingredient.

Big difference in cost.

Hopefully soon if it's not already there will be a product with this same
active ingredient available to the general public. It is very non-toxic. It
is not legal to divide and sell restricted use pesticides so I would count
that option out. You may be able to hire a friend with a pesticide license
to apply it for you. This is your best option. What I applied in my garden
was 8 ounces of Quadris mixed with 200 gallons of water for a total cost of
$13.75 (not counting sprayer wear and tear). I treated every hosta in my
garden and gave special attention to hostas I have flagged over the years as
having gone down to southern blight.

Both of these products are easily mixed with the right equipment. Constant
agitation is required to keep the suspended solids suspended so most home
sprayers would need to be shaken every so often. The system I use pumps at 4
gallons per minute which is close to what most home spigots deliver so you
can see this is larger than what any hand pumped sprayer will deliver.

I'll keep you posted,

Dan Nelson