Re: Hosta Names

Hank Zumach wrote:

> Hi Bob--Almost all of the hostas that I have purchased ( about 200
> varieties) have been purchased from well established businesses with what I
> considered to be good reputations.  As it turns out, about 5 or 6 of the
> plants were not the varieties indicated on the labels/invoices.  There have
> been numerous references on the lists to similar problems other purchasers
> have had.  I suspect that some of the confusion over hosta names is caused
> by people who think they purchased hosta "A" when in fact they were sold
> hosta "B" by the seller,  for whatever reason.  In my original posting I
> used the phrase "any quality controls" when "adequate quality controls"
> would have been  more accurate.

Hi again
	I actually think this all runs remarkably well with a plant as unstable
as hostas and since it is bought and sold in small numbers all across
the country and around the world. If you were buying all blue angels or
June or something similar where millions of the same plant was sold I
could see a problem if you got the wrong one but when alot of the plants
are sold one or two at a time there are bound to be problems or
mistakes. I don't think many nurseries or individuals for that matter
would intentionally sell the wrong plants.
	Doing the library I can see so many hostas that people aren't even in
agreement which one is the right one. When hostas are sold by the
millions every year I think it goes pretty smooth.
--
Bye
Bob