Re: Wide Brim streaked...

>The picture that you sent around of the Wide Brim streaked, is almost
>the same as the variation I discovered from a batch of TC Liners
>about the same time.  I've been dividing it over the last few years
>to make sure it is stable and sent preliminary information in for the
>Hosta Wheel and named it Cynthia Ann.

I have a question.  Is ANY streaked hosta really stable enough to be
named?  If you leave it undivided it might stay stable for awhile, but
it seems to me that every streaked hosta eventually turns into an all
mono-colored form or a stable variegated form.  A streaked hosta is
most likely a mosaic of cells in the L2 layer were the transposible
elements are in different locations.  The L2 layer in a two histogenic
layered plant is unorganized - there is nothing like an apical
meristem as in the L1 layer.  A streaked plant will maintain the
streaked appearance as long as the L2 layer remains a mosaic mix, but
as soon as the different cells in the L2 layer start to sort
themselves out you start to loose the streaking.

Joe Halinar