Re: Wide Brim streaked...

halinar@open.org wrote:

> Dave:
>
> I have a question.  Is ANY streaked hosta really stable enough to be
> named?

Personally, I don't think most streaked plants should be named.  We have
streaked forms of many plants here, Savannah, Torchlight, Delta Dawn,
Satisfaction, and on and on.  I don't see why these can't best be referred
to as Savannah Streaked, etc.  But in some cases, Sea Prize for example,
it is the steaked form that is most important because of it's breeding
potential.  I've been using it for years and have no idea what the name of
the stable form is, though I have plenty of it.

Now that so many people are having fun with streaked plants I think we are
going to see a lot of plants named that have no real value.  Streaked
plants are so commonplace that I see no reason to name one unless it
stabilizes to a plant of some value or unless it is so good as a breeder
that other breeder's will single it out as one good enough to add to their
line because they can't easily come up with  something similar. Many of
them stabilize into a nice enough variegated plant,  but very few of them
stabilize to anything really different.

If I understand his latest article on the subject, Jim Wilkins wants the
AHS policy to be that any plant that goes out of one garden into another
should be registered.  I think this is overkill and will lead to the
registration of a lot of plants that will never be widely distributed.  I
don't see that as a huge problem, but I don't see what real good it does
either.

For what it's worth,
Chick