Re: Chemicals and worms

Dan -

I enjoyed meeting you at convention--it is so nice to "see" your face
when I read your postings.  That goes for everyone else, as well.

This is a VERY LATE response to your information about blister beetles.
I didn't find any more blister beetles (that one was in my mother's
garden next door) until yesterday--and they're here in their usual large
numbers.  I was out looking for viruses and blister beetles.
Fortunately, found no viruses!  So far the beetles are in only one bed,
which had been badly damaged by earlier hail, so I'm waiting a couple of
days to see if the Guinea hens find them and eat them--if not, I'll
poison for them.  I hate to poison and will only do it as a last resort
(I stomped a huge number of blister beetles last year--a very
inefficient method), and will use a pyrethrin-based dust, at least to
begin with.

The Guinea hens have been penned for several years because of a very
aggressive dog who was lethal to them.  Since we no longer have the dog,
they are loose and doing an excellent job on the ticks which had gotten
grossly out of hand.  I'm crossing my fingers about the blister beetles.

Appreciate all the info you post.

Betsy