Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict

  • Subject: Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 12:13:49 -0400

Narda,

It is not surprising that you may not undestand the complicated sorting
out
processes involved in hostas, which are plants that demonstrate cell
lineage type
of inheritance due to the transfer of plastids of more than one kind to
daughter
cells in the meristems. Dr. Marcotrigiano has explained all of this in
his
article "Chimeras and Variegation: Patterns of Deceit" in Hort Science/
October
1997. This article was published on hosta-open at the time of the origin
of
sports discussion this spring but I'm sure many people did not study it.
carefully.Some other plants which are variegated do not have the same
kind of
inheritance  as hostas and their variegation patterns are not similar as
result. This also is explained in Marcotrigiano's article. It is worth
the study
for a better understanding of what is happening in the variegated plants
we love.