color blue in June

  • Subject: color blue in June
  • From: ctuttle39@juno.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 21:15:31 -0400

I am not Jim H by a long shot and certainly envy all his knowledge.  You
asked: {My question is: Is it more blue cause of environment or the
cellular changes you all are talking about.}

I cannot address the cellular level changes that Jim can address, but
remember that a blue Hosta is nothing more than a green Hosta hiding
behind a blue waxy coating.  Put a blue 'Halcyon', from which 'June'
came, into a very sunny location (especially afternoon sun) and you have
a green Hosta.  Been there, done that!  Put 'Goldbrook Glimmer' (another
'Halcyon' variegated sport) into the sun and you will see no variegation,
but an all green plant instead.

Hope that this helps a little.  You can also observe this as you go from
garden to garden observing 'June' and the amount of sun that each
location gives the plant.

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH