New data on S& S

As things become muddled again I give you all data old and new
about Sum and Substance.
Why is it a triploid?
1. pollen fertility 35 % (all  10 tets I measured have >90 % pollen
fertility)
2.All tes are smaller than there diploid counterparts So if  S & S  is
tet it deviates in this respect.
2. S&S has 36 pg of DNA. All other tets have 39-46 pg
Only some korean plants have 18pg giving a tet with 36pg.
However these are all small plants, so unlikely parents! ON the
other hand eg H sieboldiana/ montana has 24 pg So a triploid will
give here 36 pg!
3. The main/ only argument raised against tripoidy is that it is
fertile, well that is not uncommon among triploids..
4.I have not measured M Zilis hybrids with venusta but. I just
measured 3 open pollinated seedlings obtained from seed of S&S
of M Fransen
I found 30.8, 31.8. and 32.7 pg (each the average of 6
measurements). I leave it to you to to come up with an explanation.
5 S&S gives weird seedlings contrary to the regular tets that give
very uniform seedlings
^. The many sports, easier to obtain in a triploid, indicate that it is
triploid not tetraploid
PS   Eagles Nest will have then a centre with 50% more DNA that
is, it is 4.5 ploid!  I agree that it sounds weird Well it is but that is
what I measured However, a change during  vegetative growth
(mitose) from tetraploid to hexaploid is just as weird.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands