Re: Old data on Patriot

  • Subject: Re: Old data on Patriot
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 17:00:56 -0400

Bill,

I note in your post to Ben that you asked for the title of an article  he
wrote and where can you find it. Actually Ben mentioned two articles
...he numbered them 1.  and 2 . But I see he has not responded to your
request for this information. The purpose of this post is to be helpful
to you and others reading along. My partial response is to refer you to
the second article mentioned above. See...Ben Zonneveld,  "Why Are
Independently Arisen Look-alike Sports Identical Rather Than Only
Similar?", AHJ Vol. 30, No. 1, pg 56. This article as well as two others
, were the subjects of our comprehensive discussion  on hosta-open this
spring. The summaries of our discussion have been posted on Hosta-open
several times already. In it, Ben's theories and his Rule of Thumb re the
Origin of Sports have been completely discredited. These summaries will
also be published in the Fall edition of the Hosta Journal according to
Kevin Walek. Perhaps Kevin may wish to comment on the status of this
subject.

Ben has had the  opportunity to give his evidence and arguments of proof
for his theories and his Rule of Thumb but he opted not to do so or was
unable to do so. Why he is saying that others have short memories is
difficult to understand. Why he is re-hashing his old discredited
theories that have been discussed over and over again is also difficult
to understand. The article mentioned (number 2) does not need further
study as suggested by Ben because it has been shown to be invalid,
faulty and not consistent with the conventional wisdom of other research
conducted on this subject within the last 20 years by authoritative
researchers. What else needs to be said? .

But good luck to you,  Bill. Perhaps you will be able to get a better
explanation from Ben than anyone else has been able to obtain.

Jim Hawes