Re: What's a sport?

  • Subject: Re: What's a sport?
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:08:36 -0400

Hi Tim,
       I guess I'm saying that there is a difference between a sport and a selection that is stable. It's a sport if there is some genetic change in the plant, and a selection if it's within the normal range of what the plant looks like. There is nothing wrong with stabilizing and naming a selection of a cultivar. This has been done before. It just should be called a selection instead of a sport. If a wide-margin version of a plant has a ploidy change in the margin or center tissue, it would then be a sport. Although this may seem trivial when it comes to descriptions, I think it is important to understand that a plant has a range. The different forms of  'June' are all 'June' unless someone decides to name them. Then the named one is a named selection of 'June'. A selection shouldn't be named unless it's stable, because that would make things pretty confusing. 'Dream Weaver', unless there is a genetic change like ploidy or a different color center, should be described as a wide-margined selection of 'Great Expectations', which tends to have a variable margin. The same goes for the other plants. As far as "allowed" goes, you can introduce anything you want. Why is the 'Wide Brim' striking?
Hi Bill
I cant wholeheartedly agree with your reasoning here I am afraid. I support your view that margins (etc) vary in the same cultivar, but where do you draw the line?  When are you "allowed" to introduce Dream Weaver, Liberty or even Regal Affair?
PS I have a super Wide Brim from "Walmart" that is striking if maybe not 100% strikingly different.