Re: Sports...several definitions

  • Subject: Re: Sports...several definitions
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:11:59 -0400

Hi Jim,
        It seems to me that the sticking point here is the question of
whether a wide- or narrow-margined form of a plant that regularly shows both
within its normal range should be considered a sport. Certainly we've seen
that they can be propagated without changing back to the variable state,
which satifies one condition, but how different are they in the first place?
Some of these cultivars regularly exhibit a wide range of margin widths and
also some other characteristics. On a trip to the growing fields at Walters
Gardens, I noted that the 'Hyacinthina' showed quite a bit of variability in
how glaucous they are. One of the Kiwi 'Striptease' forms was selected as
being unusually blue. Because this is a normal part of the range of
'Hyacinthina', I would call this a selection too. When I say "range", I mean
that there are numerous shades from green to a fairly blue color, not just
two colors glaucous and not glaucous, as if one was a sport and they were
mixed. On the other hand, a batch of TC 'Sparkling Burgundy' came out a
couple years ago with two types mixed together. One was normal with some red
in the petioles and scape, and these were fairly consistant in the amount of
red. The other type had no red at all. The difference between the two types
was sharp and clear, not a range of slightly red to very red. This in my
opinion would be a sport, though not a very attractive one, and interesting
only for its scientific value.