Re: Sports...several definitions

  • Subject: Re: Sports...several definitions
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 06:59:13 -0400

Joe,

You asked if a transposable element moved from one location to another
location and results in a sport, via a "position effect", does that change
the genetic makeup of the plant?

IMO, I believe this would qualify as a change in the genotype. It resulted
in a change in the phenotype  (the sport) in your supposition, did it not?
And this change was brought about  obviously by the biochemical changes
(enzymes, amino acids and protein synthesis ) as a result of the changes
in the genotype. Position of genes is "everything" in the world of
genetics. We appear to be  going around in circles of logic, do we not?

Jim