It's a Beautiful Morning in Hockessin

  • Subject: It's a Beautiful Morning in Hockessin
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:27:42 EDT

Dan, here in faster northern Delaware, we have had light rain now three days in a row. I even got inspired and moved some trees/plants/took tree cuttings which need the moisture in the ground to succeed. Rarely do that in the heat of July, but this year is different. Sunday and Monday nights down in the upper 40's for night time temps.

Yesterday afternoon I went out on Delaware Bay fishing, out of Lewes. First thing in the morning I pulled weeds for 2 hours, after the Fourth of July night rain - 30 minutes light rain, about 0.25 inches. Weeds are coming out easy, beds looking good. Fishing was lousy, nice weather and boat ride, fished 2-6 PM, caught one small shark, no other bites.

Why the note on fishing -as we were returning to the dock I noticed a cloud formation to the north and west  that was building up fast. By time we got the boat stored in the field - leave it there so we don't have to drag it back and forth, the sky turned very dark in the north. Driving through it was a big downpour, heavy with water standing in the fields up past Dover and into Middletown area. The corn looks very good.

Did this storm give you a drink too?

Got home and ground was wet but only a 20 minute shower. Down to 50 degrees last night - hosta are looking very good for July 6!!

Last year we had the 30 days of +90 heat in June/July  Alex and I both had heat stroke from staying outside too much. Every day is indeed different!

A hosta habitat in Hockessin - stop by if you get this way.