gardening

  • Subject: gardening
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <mc_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:06:53 -0400

I can't believe the season that we have had so far. It has been rain, rain
and rain for the month of June and just this week we have gotten nearly 4
inches. Of course the garden is too wet to work but the hosta think they
have died and gone to heaven. After 3 years of being so dry and hot the
results of all the rain is amazing. May was rather normal with little rain.
The second flush of growth that has come as a result of the extra water in
June is larger than the original. So many of the plants are top heavy with
the new growth hanging over the early spring leaves. it has made me think
with the right conditions I could also grow large plants.
The temperature has been lower than normal. Many pods have set. I may have
to decide and select the ones that I really want from my pod parents. I have
already retired over 60 streaked pod parents and several solid ones. I may
forget about trying many crosses later in the summer when it is much hotter
but there a few things that I just have to try. There is a limit to how many
the plant room will hold and how many I can care for. Plants that have never
had pods before now have several. I am trying to remove scapes loaded with
pods so that they will not drain the plants of vigor for another year. Since
this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to see weather like
this, I am taking full advantage of it.
One thing that I have noticed is that the plants in the garden which were
subjected to the three mornings of 26 degrees toward the last of April have
been slower to flower. Some of those in the houses that were not as cold
have finished flowering and the same varieties in the garden are just
beginning. That is great as it gives me a fresh supply of pollen for a
longer of time. I spent hours collecting and drying pollen this spring but
so far have used very little.
Another thing that I have observed is that some pollens that work well when
the temp is in the 70s will not set when it reaches 90.
Now if anyone read through all of this I have a question. Where can I find a
registration form? I want to get them filled before I lose the information
that I have gathered. All of that measuring and counting take a lot of time.
I always keep an extra copy but it seems to be out of place. I checked the
Journal and yearbook but as my husband always says I just look over a lot of
things.

Mary Chastain
Lakeside Acres
8119 Roy Lane