Re: dirty jokes on the open

  • Subject: Re: dirty jokes on the open
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:06:06 -0400

Hi Everybody,
         Dan and Joanne run this list, so it's up to them what to do about
this. Generally, they seem to keep to the "open" philosophy that it's up to
us what we post. Bob makes a valid point that this is not an "adults only"
forum, and that his children and others can be exposed to Jim's jokes.
Others make the point that this is a hosta forum, and these jokes are not in
any way related to hostas, gardening, or anything else people may have
signed up for. To my knowledge there is no way to block Jim's jokes from our
home computers without blocking all open messages, so I propose that we take
a democratic approach and vote on whether to petition Dan and Joanne to
block Jim's joke postings.
        If all agree that this is a good idea, a voting form could be made
up and votes sent privately to Dan and Joanne. It's one thing if one person
offends one other person, as we all have different levels of tolerance, but
if the majority of open members feel his jokes are inapropriate, then
perhaps they are. I think this is a community issue at this point, and
should be dealt with as one. Others among the "Silent Majority" probably
have feelings both ways on this matter, so a vote seems fairest to all. I do
suggest that only Jim's joke postings be banned, not Jim himself. I believe
these postings are copied from some other list and not Jim's own creations,
but he seems unwilling to stop sending them.
       Jim Dixon:   Do you have anything to say?
        The censorship of some other lists has aggravated many, but in those
cases it was one individual deciding what everyone else had to do. I think
it's important that all be heard on a decision to ban someone's posts. Does
this seem like a good way to approach this? Is it fair?

..............Bill Meyer