Re: dirty jokes on the open

Michael Derksen wrote:

> Everyone,
>     What is the difference between what that gal from Illinois sent to this
> list in the not too distant past; Re: gays in the boy scouts, all of the
> political crap that was sent to the open last fall and the dirty jokes????

I think one difference is that political crap, dogs, daylilies, kids, and many
of the other off topic subjects that find their way on to the forum, are things
that grown up people discuss in the course of normal conversation without
necessarily having to look around to see who might hear.

Nobody is trying to tell Jim that he can't tell a joke, only that as in most
public places where you do not know everyone you are talking to, that many
people think it is reasonable to use a little discretion in what they say.

I'm no prude, but if I tell a dirty joke, I usually make sure that I know the
people who are listening so that I can be reasonably sure that they won't be
offended.  If I am wrong, and I find that someone is offended, then I would
probably be embarrassed.  Apparently some people aren't.

I have to admit that I don't understand insisting on telling dirty jokes to an
audience that has already made it clear that they don't want to hear them.

Chick