under appreciated hosta

  • Subject: under appreciated hosta
  • From: Ray W <wie1086@oh.verio.com>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 22:31:29 -0400

While planning for an upcoming club auction, one member of the committee
said that we should all bring something good--no junk like 'Honeybells'.
It got me to thinking, whats wrong with this hosta? Yes, its real
common, maybe for a good reason. The flowers are fragrant, it tolerates
sun tremendously (doesn't burn much), gets real big and it grows faster
than any cultivar I can think of. It can be used as a place holder in
new beds, while waiting for others to mature. As I have much to share, I
think I will pot up a whole clump of Honeybell for the auction; ) Maybe
even some 'Sugar and Cream', its variegated sister. I bet there is at
least one person in my club who would appreciate it.

What other hosta just don't get the recognition they deserve?

Ray (the guy who bashed Albo Marginata a few weeks back)